Sunday, February 25, 2007

So Arsenal Lost


It was a nail-biting match - right to the bitter end...but someone had to take the Carling Cup...and this time it happened to be Mourinho's Chelsea.
I was truly gutted. I had been following the young Gunners through their Carling Cup plight, and felt that the team had in fact matured after every game. I agree with Arsene Wenger on his formation, and his decision on excluding the more seasoned players - you know, the usual suspects like Thierry Henry. The young lads were the ones who took the team to the finals in the first place and they deserved to play in the final showdown.
I felt that Arsenal's side had dominated the majority of the match and there were a number of failed attempts on goal which had me shouting like the lager lout I am (sadly being in Sri Hartamas and surrounded by Chelsea fans didn't help).
Nevertheless, it was a match well played - by both sides, although I am slightly bitter that the two goals from the boys in blue were from Drogba - not one of my favourites at all. And no doubt he will be out partying hard in the London clubs tonight and probably every other night this week gloating over his 27th and 28th goals....yeah okay dude, you're a great scorer...great with headers...and your new 'do looks pretty good on you...but for the love of the game - stop dropping to the pitch every time someone runs past you and blows some wind your way.
The end of the game was probably the worst display of sportsmanship I have witnessed from Arsenal. They are usually calm and collected...I fully support the ref's decision on red carding the two fire-starting players...but am still not too sure on Adebayor's sending off...I always had a soft spot for the lanky striker...he's got skills. I was also bit annoyed with a certain other player getting a poxy yellow card...I saw what he did...
Well, whatever it was, I drove home in silence suffering, quite literally, from post-match blues...and as soon as I got home I surveyed the web to read Arsene Wenger's comments on the match...but they weren't up yet...
With the picture of a solemn Theo Walcott sitting on the pitch in post-match sadness still fresh in my mind, I have made a decision which my fiance (being a Man Utd fan) deeply opposes - I will get the Gunners tattooed on my arm (or maybe somewhere else)...but I will get it. Gunner for life.

No comments: